[CQ-Contest] SO2R op's

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Sep 6 07:31:04 EDT 2015

Hi Tom,

I hope I was not one of those that left you hanging.  If you read my 3830
reports from the 2 last sessions of the CWO, you'll see I tried SO2R for the
vy first time yesterday. (with less than stellar routing of audio to my
ears, as my interface is not yet built, so I am only using the Winkeyer-USB
keyer and N1MM+ to keep me honest and only 1 signal will be transmitted at a
time, but it's full stereo audio to my ears--ouch)

A few times, because I was either taking too long on radio B, or the fact I
was weak (100w & small antennas) , I lost my run frequency, so I just sucked
it up and moved on with radio A (run).

I also get frustrated when I come upon a clear QRG, say "QRL" once or twice,
get no response, then get trounced by a very loud (apparently) SO2R op who
was off on radio B or in the washroom, etc.

I'll never be a powerhouse uber signal to be reckoned with, but by the same
token I hope not to turn into one of those guys.  I am learning as I go as
there is no course for SO2R.  What I learned yesterday was I had better pay
close attn. to Radio A and only call someone on Radio B when time allows,
lest I get bullied off Radio A's frequency, hi !

Mike VE9AA

===============================

It seems more and more op's are doing SO2R, which is good, but some of them
are not doing it very well.

I noticed more than once during the CWO that someone would call CQ, I'd
answer them and then about 30 seconds later they would come back to me.
Figure they are off on the other radio working someone and figure I'll just
wait till they get back. If you wait that long to come back to me and send
the exchange, I'm not gonna answer you.

Also one station called CQ, I answered, and they never came back to me. I
know they can hear me. I called again and no answer. So I called a CQ on
that frequency as I figured they had given it up, only to have them come
back and blast a CQ right on top of me.

I think if you go to the other radio to work someone, that opens your run
frequency to whoever snags it if you piddle around too long on the other
radio..

Some guys work SO2R and you can never tell as they interleave the Q's so
well. Others - well not so good. 73 Tom W7WHY

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB