[CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net

w2lc at twcny.rr.com w2lc at twcny.rr.com
Thu Apr 7 12:57:06 EDT 2016

Rudy N2WQ said
So why would a contest encourage participants not to develop new skills and techniques? Is there any other sport that says "It's OK if you don't want to get better, we will create a category for you. No worries, mate". This is what this debate about assisted vs unassisted vs so2r etc is all about.

Huh?

I do not use assistance, but I strive to get better, such as pushing running rates higher, better transmit antennas, better receiving antennas, knowing and taking advantage of the strengths of my station.

Wanting to be single op and unassisted has nothing to do with “don’t want to get better”.

I personally have no interest in RBN, skimmer, spotting, etc.  I find the “packet pileups” annoying in the sense that with a kW and stacked yagis I sometimes have trouble getting through quickly.

RBN and skimmer, well they are cute technologies, but for me nothing more than that and for the most part uninteresting to me.

For me it is radios, amplifiers, antennas and me.

And logging software, and electricity, a lot of coax, indoor plumbing instead of an outhouse, heat and food of course, keyboard and headphones in the water closet so I can keep operating when um.. well.. you know. I’m not totally behind the times here.

So if a contest sponsor tells me, you must use/implement RBN, N1MM+, skimmer, audio recordings, a short log deadline that serves no real purpose, or whatever, etc, forget it count me out.

Mark KD4D – pro golf makes you walk too, no carts allowed, think about that, range finders and carts, square grooves, more than 14 clubs, etc. for an ”assisted” category in pro golf. All simple technologies. Can you see that happening? No I can’t either.

73 Scott W2LC