[CQ-Contest] NIL Increases

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 05:38:20 EDT 2016

I did some spot checking on NILs in last year's ARRL CW and last year's CQ WW CW, since the % was higher than in past years. It does appear that a lot of the NILs were calls worked during running vs. S&P - that does seem to be where the increase came from.

I assume it is due to what N1UR cites - people jumping on a spot on my freq, working me, logging something else. If it was just a busted spot, I assume they would get a busted call vs. me getting a NIL - it has to be something else was spotted on or near my freq, they worked me but hit enter logging the other call.

Doesn't seem like that big of an issue - that type of error should be fairly uniform, at least across stations running and being spotted and IDing regularly - should result in scores being reduced equally. If it actually does work to penalize stations who don't ID very often (as well as log stuffing from the callbook...) , so much the better.

73 John K3TN