[CQ-Contest] NIL increases

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Apr 15 08:52:27 EDT 2016

I have NILs while running too and I am not sure why. I work all dupes so
at least it is possible to make a valid contacts at some point during
the contest. This can happen when S&P stations do not wait around long
enough to ensure that their information was copied. For example I had to
wipe out some stations in the WPX phone contest when I did not copy
their serial number on the first attempt. I had asked for the number
multiple times I heard absolutely nothing. Typically these were weaker
station and either QSB made them unreadable, they were not hearing me
that well or they quickly moved on after giving their report once
thinking that we had a QSO.

John KK9A

TO:<cq-contest at contesting.com>
SUBJECT:[CQ-Contest] NIL increases
FROM: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered at earthlink.net>

Anyone else notice a significant increase in NIL over the past couple of
years and said "what gives?" and also wonder why the dupe rate of
notable
callsigns is rising? Now that I am starting to "try" and record
contests, I
have discovered the answer.

People are pouncing on spots, calling you, and moving on. Except you
weren't the one spotted. They didn't check. Literally 24 of the 27 NILs
had in CQWW SSB were this, while I was running. I could listen very
carefully to the noise floor plus before and after to be sure there was
no
one else trading Qs with me running that I couldn't hear. Only in one
case
did that sound possible. Plus there are usually a number of those in a
row
when that is happening, and these are random through the weekend.

Get used to it getting worse as time goes on. Better work that DUPE. He
doesn't think he worked you.

73

Ed N1UR