[CQ-Contest] Cheating

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Aug 22 12:35:45 EDT 2016

20% MIGHT be a reasonable figure for a ham radio contest ... but only
because it represents such a narrow slice of life.  Overall, though, the
percentage of people who are inclined to repeatedly cheat in some facet
of their lives is MUCH higher than that ... pushing 100%, I'd say.
Things ranging from coasting through a stop sign, fudging on tax
returns, having an affair, lying for personal advantage, etc.

My point is simply that radiosport is no different than anything else we
do, and studies have shown that, if anything, the perceived lack of
significant reward associated with winning a contest actually an enabler
for cheating ... people feel it's OK to cheat because nothing of real
value is being denied to anyone else.

The most significant enabler of cheating in radiosport, of course, is
the lack of visibility.  People are FAR more likely to cheat in the dark
... if nobody can see them do it and the chances of getting caught are
slim.  I'd bet that the percentage of cheaters would skyrocket if the
chance to win was there for everyone .. right now most people who might
otherwise be willing to cheat probably don't bother because it wouldn't
help them win anyway.

73,
Dave   AB7E