[CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:25:50 EDT 2016

By any objective measure, I am probably a certified geezer, too :-)

I see CW as a viable, useful mode - regardless of whether it's fun or
not - for a variety of things.  It's simple to build CW rigs, requires
no supporting systems to decode or generate, and crams all of the energy
into a minimum bandwidth - it's the most efficient mode that can be
copied by a human.  I wouldn't call it a "Model T" - I consider it more
of a "Jeep" ('48 Willys in four-wheel drive?).

That said, setting aside fully half of the available data sub-band for
it (and RTTY) is not justified on any number of considerations.  Band
usage by the different modes should ebb and flow with need,
effectiveness, and preference.  If there's a big CW contest on, I expect
to hear lots of signals up to the edge of the data/RTTY sub-band and
beyond.  When Bouvet comes on, I suspect the data stations will
experience radiation pressure from thousands of CW geezers having fun.
Other times, I have no problem with data modes filling up the otherwise
unused space and requiring CW operators to tune around the band.  I am
fully willing to mix it up and compete - that's what we're supposed to
be doing according to 97.1.

73, Ward N0AX