[CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

Ron Kolarik rkolarik at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 24 15:23:04 EDT 2016

All of the proposed digital modes referenced in the RM have but one
purpose, file transfer or email.
They rely on having a dedicated channel to function as designed, how are
users supposed to spin the big
knob when 'their' channel is busy and they want to get their email? They
can't spin the knob so the
poor guy already there gets hammered until he is forced to move and take
a chance on landing on
yet another little radio landmine waiting to fire up. The band isn't
busy so data should use it? Sorry
it's the channel thing again, virtually none of the wider data modes are
keyboard to keyboard, can't
move, won't move, bug off it's legal. It's not all the wider modes
either, some of the <500Hz mailboxes
are a plague on the bands.

The thing about not being able to attract new blood to ham radio because
are data rates are antiquated
is a bit silly. Why would any kid with the internet in his back pocket
care about sending email on HF?
It's amateur RADIO, not amateur ISP, Facebook, or Snapchat and you can't
play Pokemon GO! on it.....yet.
You want new hams it's you'll likely snag more from the makers who are
more interested in
the tech than 'push this button for email'.

Finally, "I am fully willing to mix it up and compete", how do you
compete with a mode that keeps banging away
on an already occupied frequency until it makes a connection?

Ron K0IDT