[CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

Matt Murphy matt at nq6n.com
Mon Dec 19 14:16:37 EST 2016

> Can we scale back the entry level "requirements" where everyone uses WRTC
like setups for each contest?  How many hear would operate a contest that
way?  Would it take away from the fun?

I think this is a superb idea... at least to have a category that is very
easy to set up and which would be fun for new and old hams to participate
in.  There is a TB+wires category, but perhaps something even more
restrictive such as "single wire antenna" would be interesting.

If you get to operate a high end station, the best strategy is often
running.  But from a more compromised station it may not always be possible
to run and so other strategies have to be employed. It's more closely akin
to operating a larger station during a major propagation outage.

My suggestion for a WRTC style contest-within-a-contest would be a time
limited, antenna and power limited category, such as 10 hours, 100W, wires
only.

My station happens to be wires only at present, and so most of the
contesting I do from home is casual, only intended to keep my skills up
between chances to operate from larger stations in more serious efforts.
It would be interesting if there were a competitive category that included
some sort of handicapping. Such a thing would certainly increase my desire
to aggressively S&P for a few hours during the contest and perhaps to try
to beat others facing similar conditions.

73,
Matt NQ6N