[CQ-Contest] SO(Team) and SO(A)

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 00:34:43 EST 2016

Jukka,

There must be a misunderstanding.   PVRC wasn't founded until 1947.  And
the World Wide contest has always been called "World Wide" since its first
run in 1939, sponsored by Radio Magazine.  After WWII, Radio Magazine spun
off CQ Magazine.  The 'World Wide" contest was resumed in 1948 as "CQ World
Wide".  There has been no name change over the years.  BTW, in that first
post-WWII contest in 1948, all 40 zones were active!  This is summarized
with citations in the Nov. 2016 CQ Magazine's Contesting column, which I
author.

WRT PVRC, of which I am a past president, the first PVRC entry into CQWW
club competition was in 1955. PVRC placed third.  (It didn't win until
1960.)

I think there may be a time period misunderstanding with what you heard.
In the mid-70's, there were incidents of the FRC listening in to PVRC's
spots, and vice versa. It wasn't a big deal, although I remember calls to
turn down the power on PVRC's repeater.

Now we all benefit from each other's spots worldwide if we want to, and the
world is a better place!

73, Dave K3ZJ