[CQ-Contest] QSLing

Barry w2up at comcast.net
Sat Dec 31 08:34:35 EST 2016

Just say no to paper QSLs.  While they may have sentimental value, they
are an anachronism.  I used to QSL 100% received.  In 2009, when I
downsized, cleaned house, and moved across the country, I decided no
more paper QSL cards.  I told the W2 buro to throw away my incoming
cards when the money was gone (my letter handler told me that for many
years I was the most active station he handled) and I stopped sending
them funding for buro credits.  I make it very clear on my qrz.com page
that I'm not a buro member, no more paper QSL cards, and LOTW only.  The
only exception I made was for a trip to PJ2 a few years ago.  For that,
I printed up some cards.

Even before 2009, for quite a few years, I didn't keep the buro cards I
received.  I entered and flagged the QSO in my logging program to print
a label, then I'd toss the card.  As Randy said, how many more shoeboxes
of JA (or EU) cards do I need to keep for no reason?  While this may
upset the sentimentalists, the paper cards no longer serve any purpose.
I have plenty from the 70s-90s, if I ever want to look at them or show
them to someone.

Barry W2UP