[CQ-Contest] Rampant Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW 2016

Barry N1EU n1eu.barry at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 07:55:50 EST 2016

Instead of the situation improving over the past 15 years with more
awareness, key clicks on the bands during contests have gotten much worse.
I've copied excerpts from score postings from W1UE and N1EU below.

Two groups of contest operators are going to be much more aware of the
problem than others: those who run a lot (and experience the clarity and
usability of their run frequency deteriorate over time) and those equipped
with panadapters.  I also suspect that east coast operators are going to be
impacted more due to stronger European signal levels.

I suspect the situation doesn't bother most contesting folks as much as
me.  I really think it has gotten bad enough to warrant extreme measures -
we've got the tools to monitor/playback spectrum.  Wide signals simply
should NOT be tolerated and operators should be disqualified.

The other measure I'd really like to see is an S&P only category because I,
for one, would like to throw in the towel entirely on running during cw
contests.

73,
Barry N1EU