[CQ-Contest] K9YC ARRL DX QRP

Stephen Bloom sbloom at acsalaska.net
Mon Feb 22 11:27:12 EST 2016

Hi Jim:

Great points.

>From the other side of the equation here ...we often have a tough call.
Even under perfect conditions .."one way propagation" is often a reality
here ..especially when the bands are marginal.  With KL7RA gone, the rest of
the Alaska ops have more ...ordinary stations.  There are a couple of guys
...KL2R and WL7F who have very low local noise levels ...but they are way
North ..and completely at the mercy of aurora and absorption.  The rest of
us live in South Central Alaska (Anchorage and burbs) and tend to have good
antennas for the high bands ...wires for low bands.  We all get out better
than we hear ..and it is especially drastic on the low bands.  It's always a
tough call on whether to try and run on 40 or 80 ...because I am aware of
how frustrating it is to hear a station fairly loudly ...running what seems
to be an unmonitored CQ loop ...but ..once in a while ..things do line up
well enough to make it work.

Speaking of 40M ...I was at KL2R for this one ..we did a M/S ..myself, Larry
(N1TX/KL2R), and WL7F.  I was blown away by how well we did on 40M.  The
station is in Two Rivers AK ...about 20M NE of Fairbanks ..and 70 or so
miles South of the Arctic Circle.  Larry put up a pair of phased 40M
verticals last year ..almost 500Qs on 40 for this one ..that is amazing for
that far North.  2000+ Qs and 1.1 Million points overall.

73
Steve KL7SB