[CQ-Contest] too much complaining about "poor ops" + how to "get even"

Chris Wynn n4xfa at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 08:50:44 EST 2016

As said by the Governor in Mel Brooks' movie Blazing Saddles, "Harumph, Harumph, Harumph"!

See y'all in the Pile Ups,Chris WynnN4XFA SEDXCGCG ARRL LIFE MEMBER
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:07 AM, kr2q at optimum.net<kr2q at optimum.net> wrote:   Someone has to say it, so it will be me.

OMG...

This thread has really gone south.

How to get even?

How to punish the guy?

Don't log who you work?

Send the wrong call?

Are you kidding me?

This is supposed to be a fun hobby and contesting is supposed to be fun.
We all can get frustrated when doing anything in life; but getting vindictive?
Life is too short for "getting even" and "punishment."  Nothing in our life is 100% to our liking.
Never dwell on it.  Just move on.  This stuff JUST DOES NOT MATTER THAT MUCH.

If the guy doesn't ID, QSY.  You waste too much time sitting there compared to working more Qs.
What type of "joy" is there by waiting 15 minutes until he finally sign?  That's not contesting.

As for not IDing often enough, well, some guys don't follow the (CQWW) rules, but some
"complainers" apparently don't read the rules either.  Nothing wrong with wanting a tool
to ID every 3rd QSO.

See excerpt below from CQWW Rules (yeah, I know, this was ARRL DX test), noting especially
the LAST point.

A. Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include, but are not limited to:

    * Arranging or confirming any contacts during or after the contest by use of ANY non-amateur radio means such as telephones, Internet, instant messaging, chat rooms, VoIP, email, social media or web sites.
    * Transmissions by the entrant on frequencies outside of license limitations.
    * Changing times in the log to meet band change or off time rules.
    * Taking credit for excessive unverifiable QSOs or unverifiable multipliers.
    * Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks) or harmonics on other bands.
    * Running stations not identifying in a timely manner (i.e., 1 minute).

If you "want to get even" or "punish" them, the BEST method is to simply not work them.
Put your own score where you mouth is.

For me, I tune past for now, knowing that I'll probably tune past them again later and
maybe get their call sign.  If not, I don't care.  It won't impact my sequence of finish and
I have a great feeling when the contest is over.  No thoughts of being "ticked off."

de Doug KR2Q