[CQ-Contest] Another grip..... Slow down!

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Tue Feb 23 09:36:27 EST 2016

Hey Mike,

If it doesn't work, people would not call.

This contest, I ran between 35-39 wpm, and with a large pileup, was up to
43 wpm.  Except on 160.

Guess what?  Not a single "ASK" for QRS.  If their was QRM, I would surely
slow down, as much as necessary to complete the QSO.

Maybe it's too fast, but it works for me.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of op who come back on straight keys at
15 wpm -- but have solid copy and never ask for a fill.

The other op at our M/2 ran about 32 wpm.  I noticed every time I took over
a run, my rate would increase significantly.  So, speed does work.

When you are calling CQ 10,000 times in a contest weekend, CW speed makes a
big difference.   For most guys, speed, especially if you are
accurate, is a great marketing technique -- fast in and out.   If someone
is S&Ping, and the come across a station sending slow and/or making
mistakes, they are more likely to pass by.

If S&P, I answer close to the callers sending speed.

I think I'm slow, compared to some ops.  N3DXX comes to mind.

73, and may the QRQ be with you!

Gerry, W1VE