[CQ-Contest] too much complaining about "poor ops" + how to "get even"

Marko Myllymaki marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 12:42:14 EST 2016

THANK YOU Doug !

It is really sad to read this forum after each major contest.  Is anyone
having any fun on these events ?

I spent abt 23 hrs on radio this weekend and I had fun.  As K5ZD mentioned
in his post on 3830 forum DX contest is lot of fun when not doing serious
competitive effort.  I'm discovering this as I'm having 1st time ever
station in home and I can come and go as I wish on these full weekend
events.  This weekend I did not think IDing was completely out of control, I
think signals were generally clean, speeds were generally OK, 4W/N1YC split
was very smart and more rare stations could have done it to be able to serve
more customers (due to problems caused by constant calling and zero beat
cluster clickers).  Quality of operating was generally good.  There are of
course always some exceptions but I did not think it was as miserable as it
sounds when one reads this forum.

What comes to IDing, Doug is spot on.  Spin the VFO, don't waste your own
time.  Station who does not ID every QSO has already enough customers to
handle.  They don't want more at that moment.  They are fine for you to
pass, actually they want you to pass at that time.  It is one way to control
size of pile-up and not every operator in rare DX location is best operator
who can handle any size of pile-up and pull complete calls each time.  At
least I'm not.  DX operator is also trying to have fun and serve as many
customers as possible.  I admit I have been guilty of not IDing enough
number of times when in rare place.  I have tried to improve.  Everyone gets
lost once in a while.  Often operator could be half zombie after being many
hours on and simply forgetting send call each time.  I have tried to
automate it for every 3rd contact or so.  If you really need to stick around
and you don't hear him send call after 1 minute then send CL?  He will
usually get the point.

This is suppose to be enjoyable activity.  If it isn't do something else.

73 de Marko N5ZO

Someone has to say it, so it will be me.

OMG...

This thread has really gone south.

How to get even?

How to punish the guy?

Don't log who you work?

Send the wrong call?

Are you kidding me?

This is supposed to be a fun hobby and contesting is supposed to be fun.

We all can get frustrated when doing anything in life; but getting
vindictive?

Life is too short for "getting even" and "punishment."  Nothing in our life
is 100% to our liking.

Never dwell on it.  Just move on.  This stuff JUST DOES NOT MATTER THAT
MUCH.

If the guy doesn't ID, QSY.  You waste too much time sitting there compared
to working more Qs.

What type of "joy" is there by waiting 15 minutes until he finally sign?
That's not contesting.

As for not IDing often enough, well, some guys don't follow the (CQWW)
rules, but some

"complainers" apparently don't read the rules either.  Nothing wrong with
wanting a tool

to ID every 3rd QSO.

See excerpt below from CQWW Rules (yeah, I know, this was ARRL DX test),
noting especially

the LAST point.

A. Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include, but
are not limited to:

    * Arranging or confirming any contacts during or after the contest by
use of ANY non-amateur radio means such as telephones, Internet, instant
messaging, chat rooms, VoIP, email, social media or web sites.

    * Transmissions by the entrant on frequencies outside of license
limitations.

    * Changing times in the log to meet band change or off time rules.

    * Taking credit for excessive unverifiable QSOs or unverifiable
multipliers.

    * Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks) or harmonics
on other bands.

   * Running stations not identifying in a timely manner (i.e., 1 minute).

If you "want to get even" or "punish" them, the BEST method is to simply not
work them.

Put your own score where you mouth is.

For me, I tune past for now, knowing that I'll probably tune past them again
later and

maybe get their call sign.  If not, I don't care.  It won't impact my
sequence of finish and

I have a great feeling when the contest is over.  No thoughts of being
"ticked off."

de Doug KR2Q