[CQ-Contest] Your Call?

Marko L Myllymaki marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 05:58:39 EST 2016

Hi Steve,

Yes I have heard that feedback and it is noted as I have mentioned.
I'm not fan of 1 min rule.  I think it is "overregulation".  Everyone
has that big knob on their radio and nobody needs to wait non-IDer.
But of course everyone gets excited of that unique zone they hear.
But 1 min rule is what we have now and need to try to live with it.
I'm sure I have slipped with it few times too for reasons mentioned
before.  I have operated at least one of the CQ WW contests in each of
the last 8 years somewhere where I have been double mult to most
participants.  In those places I know for fact that each time I send
my call there will be number of new callers coming to pile-up which
may already be difficult for me to handle with my own limited skills
(also on Sunday).  I'm just trying to optimize how many customers I
can serve, and as I did the travel I think I have some skin on the
game to decide how to do it.  As long as there is no rule requirement
to send call on each contact I will ignore noise for that wish.  I
personally hope such  rule is never implemented in CQ WW, but I'm
aware that I may be in minority based on the discussion I read on this
forum after every major contest.

Anyway maybe I think this is nowdays lesser problem for me on DX end
and might as well try send that call on each or more contacts as I
think in last couple years size of pile-up problem on that  DX end has
been by far masked by those constant callers and zero-beat callers.
Also, if listening from TX frequency it is probably better to send
that call each time anyway as if not it gets covered by callers as
soon as TU has been sent and nobody will hear the callsign when sent.
So if it is sent each time it would remove that issue since pile-up
knows that DX starts listening after callsign.  But given all issues
in more rare double mult QTH far away from target area for me at least
some small amount of split operating seems to be best way to get as
many customers served as possible at least with my own skill level.
That has been my conclusion.

Probably this is all I have to say at this time for this topic.

73 de Marko N5ZO