[CQ-Contest] Absurd Rule in NAQP

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 09:12:39 EST 2016

Hi Pete

There is more to this than getting on and out of a pileup quickly.

Assuming everyone followed - and was able to master your technique of
getting in/out fast - before the pileup forms, that would simply make the
pileup start faster, and the 'trick' would no longer work.

But - there is more to that that.  Folks have become accustomed to 'point
and shoot'.  The cluster gives them the call.  Click on the spot, and there
they are.  Throw in your call, and in your log they go.  But - this does
not always work as advertised.  They spotted guy moves.  His call was
busted.  50 people see the same spot and click on the link.  INSTANT and
massive pileup!

I am sure we have all been in pileups where the running guy ID's every 5-10
minutes.  He does not need to ID - the cluster takes care of that for him.
This puts unassisted folks at a huge disadvantage.  Then - when he does ID
- he is covered up...  <Sigh>.

On the running side - one needs to call CQ and ID - A LOT to keep putting
Q's in the log.  Yes - there is a technique to this, and the best way to
learn is by doing.  If you are a relative newbie to contesting, you are NOT
ready to handle a massive pileup on your first outing!  Faced with a mob,
many would just spin the dial and revert back to S&P.

That is what NAQP - and no cluster - gives us.  The opportunity to learn -
and master the techniques of finding folks to work - by spinning the VFO,
not just clicking on a spot.  It gives newbie an opportunity to run -
without being overrun by a massive pileup - every time they call CQ.

If folks want to use the cluster, use high power, and not follow the rules
- or the intent of the rules - thats fine.  They want to master the
technique of getting in/out fast - fine.  Just - don't expect to submit the
log as a competitive one for scoring purposes.

I would also add - your idea of "classic done the right way" in the CQWW
misses the whole point of Classic!  The idea is "Just a boy and his radio"
 Like when WE started.  ONE radio.  NO cluster.  Next CQWW - give it a try
the right way - you just might like it :-)

Tom - VE3CX