[CQ-Contest] Inverter generators

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jan 22 13:05:03 EST 2016

On Thu,1/21/2016 8:49 AM, Eric M. Guzman wrote:
> I had RFI issues with an EU2000 some years ago. Built a filter by
> winding a 12 or 15ft AC extension cord around a big toroid and that
> fixed it.

Our club (NCCC) has done several group purchases of this generator, and
we've had very good experience with them. It will run a 100W rig AND a
600W power amp on CW or SSB in economode (we use K3 and KPA500)! At
home, I use to to power the critical circuits in my home during power
failures, and I also use econmode. Those circuits include a refrigerator.

But it IS necessary to choke the output to kill hash on the higher HF
bands. Easy to do -- 4-5 turns of the output cable through the big 1-in
i.d. #31 Fair-Rite clamp-on, or a stack of four 1.4-in i.d. toroids.
Line filters do nothing. Photo on slide #7 of this Power Point.

http://nccc.cc/pdf/CQP-RFI2013-2.pdf

73, Jim K9YC