[CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jul 23 17:48:39 EDT 2016

Hi Kelly,

On Sat,7/23/2016 1:08 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> Do you really think distance-based scoring will lead to a change in distribution of winning scores?
Some, yes. More important, virtually all stations "off the beaten track"
will get higher scores because more stations want to work them. With the
current rules, once you've worked the country and the zone, another Q is
only 3 points. But if, for example, you're in W1/2/3, every VK, ZL, CE,
VU, etc. gives you 20-30 points, you're more likely to chase them as
opposed to working another easy Q to EU, with one-third the distance
credit.

> Even if you get more points for CA-EU contacts, would that be enough to compensate for the fact a K1 is still going to work through many more layers than you?

At least partially, because it changes who wants to work YOU, and how
badly they want to work you.

> And aren't you still left with the same paucity of contacts - relative to the numbers in EU - to your west and northwest?

Not if stations in those regions are more motivated to operate, and/or
to put in a more serious effort. And I'm not thinking only of me, I'm
thinking of guys all over the world who have the same problem. Like
PY5EG who commented earlier in this thread.

> And, will this compensate for the fact, California notwithstanding, you are still going to hear and work much more and much farther DX than the best VE4 and VE5 stations?

In CA, it is much more difficult for me to work EU than for you, but it
is easier for me to work AS and VK. You would get more credit for all of
those DX Qs that are more distant for you. You would, for example, get a
lot more points for working PJ4 that would a station in GA or FL.

> I'm not necessarily arguing against the change, just sceptical it will actually change anything, or will have a positive effect for all involved.

I believe it would have a very positive effect on those stations who are
the most disadvantaged, while removing some of the advantage of those
who have it, which is why I suggested it. :) It doesn't mean that
stations in/around the Atlantic would not have an advantage, but it
would be LESS of an advantage, and those much farther from that region
will feel more like they're actually IN THE CONTEST!

One simple example -- in ARRL DX CW, first class single operators at
super-stations K6XX, W7RN turned in scores that were less than half of
less-equipped stations in W3; the score from the M/M team at
superstation N6RO scored was less than the scores of K3LR and W3LPL.

73, Jim K9YC