[CQ-Contest] Yaesu FT-1000 CAT to USB

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 17:39:39 EDT 2016

Fritz,

I would check out Amazon to see what is available there. I'm sorry that
I can't offer advice specific to the FT-1000, but a few of us here in
Detroit recently purchased ICOM-to-USB adapters off Amazon which work
very well.  I've not looked at what they might have for your situation,
but recently I have been pleasantly surprised at the breadth of amateur
radio products carried by Amazon.  They were even offering the Yaesu
FT-991 transceiver (to my surprise).

You might even find a cable which would go directly from USB to the DIN
connector on the FT-1000, so no more need for the FIF-232C.  Less
clutter on your operating desk :-)

I would agree with some of the other respondents who recommended
sticking with adapters using a real FTDI chip.

If you find something that works well for you, please share the info
here on the reflector.  I am a devoted FT-1000-D user myself (I own six
of them, from back in the days when we were doing multi-multi contesting
here) and I suspect the day is coming when I'll have to abandon my DOS
boat anchors and jump into the 21st century :-)

73, Dave/K8CC