[CQ-Contest] Contest simulation using RBN archives

Fabian Kurz fabian at fkurz.net
Mon Jun 20 13:42:16 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 01:53:41PM +0100, Dez Watson wrote:
> What I'd really like to do is use RBN archived data to simulate a
> telnet feed into my contest logger's bandmap.
>
> In essence, I want to simulate a contest using archived data to
> experiment with band changes and alternative strategies,
> retrospectively.
>
> The RBN raw data is in the .csv format so I'm well aware I can view
> the data in say Excel or Access so could do this manually but really
> want to simulate an archived RBN feed to my logger's bandmap.

here's a small Perl script that opens a telnet server on port 9999
and then reads the CSV file specified as the command line parameter.
It spits out the spots in "real time", where the first spot is
sent immediately and all following spots are then sent with a second's
precision until the end of the file:

https://fkurz.net/stuff/rbnreplay.pl

On Windows I'd recommend the free and stable Strawberry Perl
distribution: http://strawberryperl.com/

Once installed, open a command prompt, and (in this example all files
are in c:\users\dj1yfk\) run the script:

c:\Users\dj1yfk> perl rbnreplay.pl 20160519.csv
Waiting for telnet connection on port 9999

As soon as you connect to localhost:9999, you should see properly
formatted spots both on the terminal where you started the script,
and in the contest logger's telnet window.

73
Fabian, DJ1YFK

--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK      Munich, Germany
fabian at fkurz.net         +49 176 24079617