[CQ-Contest] Contesting keyboard

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Tue Jun 28 13:55:24 EDT 2016

I used a Steelseries Merc Stealth gaming keyboard for a while, because of the programmable buttons, but gave it up due to realizing I was more dependent on the Ins/Home/PgUp/PgDn/End/Del key block (not present on that device) than I thought.

Now I use a Logitech G510 keyboard, plus a G13 "gameboard".  The layout of the programmable keys isn't as ergonomically friendly as the Merc Stealth, but the G510 does add a discrete USB sound device that might be of use in some situations.

All of those keyboards are corded, but I have had no RF issues with them (although I do, out of habit, put ferrite beads on every USB cable in the shack).

They're probably overkill for most contesters, but they spare me from wasting brain cycles trying to remember some keyboard shortcuts, and make it possible for different programs to have the same keystrokes to do the same jobs.

Now, if all you're trying to do is work around a pesky laptop keyboard, where you think you have to press Fn+F1 (instead of just F1) to call CQ, you might not need the extra keyboard.  AutoHotKey can handle key remaps, although you might have to do some research/experimentation to determine the codes needed to meet your particular situation.

Michael Adams | mda at n1en.org