[CQ-Contest] Watson vs Miletic

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Fri Mar 18 12:27:13 EDT 2016

Mario wrote:
Doug, I wonder if you do that operating QRP?  Or you chase DX with legal power?  Tail ending?

Mario,

None of the above.  I achieved Honor Roll #1 in Sept 1991 (my age then = 40).  I mostly
chase DX with QRP just for fun.  Maybe 10 or more years ago, I was 1 away from honor roll with 5 watts.
Then I just stopped cuz I thought it had become "silly."  I also worked 256 DXCC with 300 mw
many years ago (also probably more than 10) and also stopped doing that.  What was I trying
to prove?  OK, I get it.  The laws of physics work.

It can be done, especially if you "don't care" and are just having fun.

My comment is based on my recent listening to the flurry of DxPeditions.  It must be very
disheartening for callers to hear the DX come back to "XZ" (I just made that up) only to have
half the USA (or EU, etc) continue to call.  Of course, it has always been like this, not something
new.  Guess I just have not listened to a DxPed in a long time.  I find it fun to "dump it in," but
I am also respectful of the fact that many callers need it for an ATNO.

As for Watson, I was invited to the IBM site in NY for a demo.  It was in the same room as the famous
Jeopardy show took place, but later on, without all of the stage setup for the show.  I am in the
healthcare world and BIG DATA is the latest thing in mapping best clinical pathways.  I currently am
working on two such projects: CABG (coronary artery bypass grafts) and for new moms who develop
a fever in the perinatal period if they have undergone a C-Section.

I'm not sure this email is appropriate for the contest reflector, but time will tell.  <grin>

Finally, I'd like to have my "fame" aspect of ham radio more related to my 36 years of voluntary service
on the CQWW Contest Committee as opposed to my QRP contest and DX operations.  <grin>

de Doug KR2Q