[CQ-Contest] Youth and Contesting

Mark markzl3ab at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:35:22 EDT 2016

This is an interesting discussion.

When someone asks me why I just don't just use the internet or a cellphone
instead of a radio my usual response is on that basis why would someone
paint a picture instead of just taking a photo or cycle 100 kiliometres
instead of driving it in a car?  It's not all about using the most modern
or even efficient way to do something.

On youth and contesting one point that I haven't seen made is that
contesting isn't all about being competitive.

Many take part for other reasons like chasing DX, handing out a multiplier,
or just to have a bit of fun.  The vast majority do not operate more than
24 hours in the 48 hour contests.  You can see that in the stats.  Back in
2013 I posted on the reflector some stats from the CQWW SSB and CW contests
that year on single op all band entries.  In SSB only 5% operated more than
36 hours and in CW it was 8%.  80% and 73% operated less than 24 hours
respectively.

Having teenage kids and coaching a teenage sports teams I can tell you now
it is not all about being competitive with young people either.  The social
aspect is important as well (especially with girls teams).

Therefore if you want to introduce new people to contesting (youth or
older) you need to figure out what is important to them, not what you think
is important, and work around that.  For example guys like me with families
are not going to spend every weekend contesting or long hours at the rig.
Therefore you need to suggest things for them to try and for periods which
fit around family commitments.  If they are DXers suggest good contests to
work new countries etc.  If they are super competitive help them put a plan
in place to achieve that. Maybe they like coming up with new antennas to
try in a contest situation, let them.  With young people if they just want
to have a bit of fun with their peers make it that.  Not everyone wants to
run stations at 200/hr or learn how to do so (I know some on this reflector
may find that hard to believe).  Ultimately be flexible!

In that vein I also think would be helpful if we had contests with
objectives other than rate and multipliers to bring some variety to things
but I am also realistic enough to know the contesting community is
incredibly conservative when it comes to change.

73
Mark ZL3AB