[CQ-Contest] Is it just me ?

Bob Poortinga ng9m at arrl.net
Mon Mar 28 22:18:54 EDT 2016

Trent Sampson <vk4ts at outlook.com> wrote:

> Is it just me or do others see a sort of nonsensical category in the WPX with tribander single element, single band categories ?

It must be just you. ;-)

> Some must gain satisfaction from first place Tribander Single element 160M  but is it really something that helps activity or does it please the Certificate hunters and as such needs to be retained ?

Trent, if you read the contest rules, it would make perfect sense. The
category overlay is called TB-WIRES (Tribander/Wires). This overlay
requires a single tribander on 20/15/10 AND simple wire antennas on
40/80/160. So if my only antenna on 160m is an inverted-L, I can use
the TB-WIRES overlay to differentiate my 160m SB log from those
stations that have 4-squares and other complex antennas. I sometimes
enter contests as 40m SB and use the TB-WIRES overlay since I have a
simple wire antenna and I don't want to compete against stations that
have 40m beams.

73 de Bob NG9M