[CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

Peter Chamalian w1rm at comcast.net
Sun May 15 17:08:01 EDT 2016

I'm in the same boat as Jim.  Single op means just that and I don't think we
should blur the lines with assisted, 2 radios, etc.  Think of it this way,
for the new contester, learning the tricks of the trade come with work (all
us OT's have done it).  It would be like giving a kid learning arithmetic a
calculator.  You never learn to do it in your head.  The same is true for
contesting single op!

I'm one who has had the pleasure of doing it the old fashioned way for many
years with some success.  There is a joy in that so let's not deprive those
who are coming up the ladder of that joy.

BTW I do remember KH6IJ, KX6DB, W4KFC and W9IOP.  I remember them not only
in SS but ARRL DX too.  Back in the day of quotas (remember those?), you
could tune up the band and hear an OK with a pile-up of W's then a G with a
pile-up of W's then W4KFC with a pile-up Europeans!

So let's keep the distinction and praise the iron men and women to go into
battle only with their single radio and wits!

Pete, W1RM