[CQ-Contest] Quo Vadis Contesting?

w7dra at juno.com w7dra at juno.com
Tue May 17 02:22:26 EDT 2016

The important news flash, below, has not appeared in the major contest
reflector, cq-contest at contesting.com.  It may be necessary for SOC folks
to help that reflector carry this message by relaying it to that address.
The message records a sea-change in contesting skills and practices of
such magnitude only an SOCer can fully see.
Help our fellow hams with this information.  Charly

> From: k4vud at hotmail.com
> To: soc at mailman.qth.net; cq-contest at contesting.com
> Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 23:33:51 +0000
> Subject: [SOC] NEWS FLASH  CONTESTING NOW SOC EVENTS
>
> NEWS FLASH
> CONTESTING NOW SOC EVENTS.
> April 1 2016 for immediate release
>
> QST QST QST to all radio amateurs.......
>
> Ham radio contests are all now SOC events.  Due to development of RBN
and code readers and decline of contesters involving their own talents in
copying contest Morse, former First Class Operators skills are no longer
needed.  The Second Class Operators association has begrudgingly accepted
the burden of underpinning all ham radio contests.

> For a century, First Class Operators banded together to make elite and
to validate CW contesting usage by the high skill of actually copying
Morse (some at unbelievable speeds) by their own brain power.  Such First
Class ops could also actually send with their human hands Morse on CW
keys.  None of these skills are now needed for success in ham radio
contests.

> The Second Class Operators (SOC) have shouldered this new development
in ham radio with heavy hearts, and shoulders;  however have pledged to
uphold SOC three-key* keyboards forever.