[CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Alpha Max

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 22:52:03 EDT 2016

WC1M wrote: "... a member of YCCC, my contest club, arranged with the
factory to send a technician to our club area -- the Northeast -- to do an
"Alpha Day" where local owners could bring their amps to the tech."

Wow!  That's gotta be a lot of 87A's needing fixed to make it worth sending
the technician out.  Either there are (were?) a ton of them in service,
with a low-to-moderate failure rate, or there were a low-to-moderate number
in service with a big failure rate.

Reminds me of back around 2000 when I was driving an '84 Chevy wagon with
about 200K miles on it.  My kids disparaged my old car. I said, "I see a
lot of cars newer than mine broken down on the side of the road."  My son
replied, "Most of the cars on the road are newer than your car."

73, Art K3KU