[CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Tue Oct 11 12:20:07 EDT 2016

I think the market will dictate what amateur transceiver manufacturers produce, not technology. The greatest tech in the world is useless in a business plan if nobody wants it.

The demand by the bulk of the market is for 100w radios. Not everyone wants to buy an amplifier, and even those who do have amplifiers don’t always turn them on.

I could see a manufacturer such as Elecraft creating a package, however: A 35-watt radio and matching amplifier, perhaps, particularly if they could engineer certain marketable technical advantages into a system with less power from the exciter and more gain from the amplifier.

But I think it’s still a niche market for stand-alone radios with less than 100w output.

73, kelly, ve4xt,