[CQ-Contest] K4BAI Story in Local Paper

Gerry Treas K8GT k8gt at mi.rr.com
Mon Oct 24 14:49:10 EDT 2016

Thanks for posting the article Jeff.  It tells what so many of us in ham
radio particularly contesters already knew.

I was operating in the 1996 US Islands/Canadian Islands Contest on
Harsen's Island in Lake St. Clair and John answered my CQ with a
greeting as we had worked many times before.  I asked if he'd be at
Dayton as I would like to meet him in person.  John said no, that he
doesn't care for crowds so doesn't attend Hamvention. Thanks to all the
folks in SECC and others for convincing him to attend.  I've enjoyed
seeing John and chatting many years now in Dayton.

The honor and tributes are certainly deserved for a true gentleman.

73, Gerry, K8GT