[CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Wed Aug 16 16:57:49 EDT 2017

All this talk about SO1R vs SO2R doesn't really matter. If the guys who do SO2R didn't do it they would still beat you because they all have a good station and good operating skills. I never really understood the logic for NAQP that running 100 watts levels the playing field. The type of antennas you are using is what really makes the difference.

I used to do SO2R but sold all of my stuff this Summer. I was only using it for a couple contests a year. Sure my scores were better when I did SO2R but I still had plenty of SO1R stations beat me all the time because I have an inferior station. (All wires) It just didn't seem worth the effort anymore.

I just do contests for fun now. If I can have fun running some rate I will be on doing that. But if it becomes too much work or I'm not having fun I shut off the radio.

Truthfully those who have all the toys and outstanding operating skills always win. Same as it is in any competitive sport. While I would like to see different classes in contests for those of us who aren't as fortunate I doubt it would ever happen.

Jeff KU8E

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid