[CQ-Contest] Headphones...hard wired

Chris Plumblee chris.plumblee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:38:19 EST 2017

I’ve had a pair of Bose QC15 for a while, and really like them for CW.
They’re expensive, though relatively more affordable now that newer models
are superseding them. I bought mine on Amazon from a seller that recovers
stuff left on planes by absent-minded passengers. They use a single AAA
battery that easily lasts 48 hours.

Just a couple of months ago, I bought a pair of Sony MDR-7506. I used them
during CQWW CW, and they were quite nice. They compared very favorably with
the Bose. No active noise canceling, and no battery required. Available
from Amazon for $80. Sometimes you can catch them on sale on eBay for ~$50.
I bought mine at a Hamfest. Replaced the ear pads ($20 for genuine Sony
parts) and they’re good as new.

I also had a set of the Heil QuietPhones, and they were pretty mediocre. I
do not recommend them.

73, Chris wf3c

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:22 AM Bill via CQ-Contest <
cq-contest at contesting.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in finding a comfortable over the ear, noise cancelling
> headphones for CW work.  No wireless as the batteries don't last 48 hours
> for a contest.  Don't want to spend hundreds of $$ for a pair, but don't
> expect to get a pair for $30 either.
>
> Recommendations?
>
> Bill K4XS/KH7XS

Chris Plumblee