[CQ-Contest] R: Re: R: 3V8SS disqualified from WW SSB and WRTC

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Feb 22 16:53:49 EST 2017

I don't know Ash or enough about him to formulate an honest opinion. So I
won't guess.

I do have to wonder though (outside this discussion) whether I am at risk,
or my fellow MCCers are putting ME at risk when contesting?

I usually go unassisted myself, however in those 10-20% of cases I'm in a
certain contest that I *AM* assisted, I will occasionally spot

a fellow MCC member or a popular callsign of someone that perhaps is a CWOps
member. N5AW comes to mind.

One weekend I think I spotted him at least 2 times as I tuned across an
almost dead 15m band.  Did I do Marv ( and others in Texas) a disservice

by letting the multitudes know the band was open? (I think it's been missed
on all these spotting threads that some folks only monitor manually spotted

clusters and receive no RBN feeds, so manually spotting folks DOES make a
difference)

Are my fellow MCCers here in the Maritimes hurting my chances by spotting me
once in a while, although I have never asked for it?

For example, I have known VE9HF  for close to 40 yrs.  I'll often discover
on Sunday night after a big contest that Rick has perhaps spotted me once or
twice over the course of the weekend. (hardly cheerleading!)

p.s.- WRTC is not exactly fair to qualify, but that's a separate issue.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB