[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sun Feb 26 08:48:09 EST 2017

I am very surprised that nobody has created a huge multi user version of
DR. DX for the internet.  I would be great fun.  DR. DX was pretty
amazing for the time.  I know there is a modern day equivalent but it
has not been implemented on a large scale where everyone is tied
together, scoreboard, etc.

This is one reason that Ham radio is having problems attracting and
getting people on the air.  You can engage with people all over the
globe very easily and for free.  No huge towers or investments needed.
Talking to someone in Russian, Germany, Japan, or wherever is much more
common today.  I probably have more foreign friends on Facebook than I
do local.

Radiosport and ham radio are about having fun and learning for me.
Sitting and calling endless CQ's on RTTY is not fun.  The point of
contests should be to make lots of contacts.  If the rules are reducing
the amount of contacts then we have failed. Are more contacts made when
packet is allowed?  I think so.  NAQP RTTY last night might be an
example.  Packet is discouraged and I noticed a number of people that
were discouraged from the contest for just that reason.

There is nothing magical, mystical or fantastic about unassisted
anymore.  For me it is something that has become archaic, old and very
much behind the times.  I have a buggy for my draft horse and it is fun
to drive now and then but I much prefer to hop in my pickup truck to get
around town.  Many of the rules are difficult at best to enforce, power,
packet, etc and then when the rules are enforced the decisions of the
organizers are criticized when there has been no real proof provided by
either side.

Interesting times we are in.

W0MU