[CQ-Contest] Why am I seldom spotted automatically?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Tue Feb 28 14:45:35 EST 2017

 Well Charles,

If memory serves, you often comment on how few contacts you are able to make in a given contest, for any of a variety of reasons.

It seems pretty clear that if you don't make a lot of contacts, the odds of being manually spotted are not as high.  If, for the sake of discussion, only 1 in 5 contacts will manually spot you, and you only make 20 contacts, you may only get spotted 4 times.  If you make 500 contacts, you not only will get spotted at least 100 times by people who work you, but additional times by people who are trying to work you or at least just happened to hear you operating.

As far as the Reverse Beacon Network stations go, if they can't hear you (again, for any of a variety of reasons), they can't automatically spot you either.

And if your friends don't spot you while they're operating (when allowed by the rules of the given contest, of COURSE, and when done within the usual ethical guidelines, and so on), well, maybe that's a chat you have to have with them, not with us.

73, ron w3wn