[CQ-Contest] Why am I seldom spotted automatically?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 17:34:14 EST 2017

I don't really think the paucity of RBN receivers in easy range is the
answer - we have active skimmers in Singapore, Malaysia, India, several
in JA, and several in China (including one near Shenzhen).  All told, we
have over 160 skimmers on the air during a typical weekend, more during
contests. During the ARRL CW test, the RBN made over 4 million spots;
during last year's CQWW CW, it was over 6 million.

Do you CQ often, Charly?  When you CQ, do you sign your call twice, and
send a keyword like CQ or TEST? Try transmitting TEST TEST HS0ZCW
HS0ZCW. Bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.  The Skimmer software tries
hard to discriminate between runners and callers, and the RBN aims only
to spot runners.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now