[CQ-Contest] Call sign history

BobK8IA at aol.com BobK8IA at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 12:01:08 EST 2017

Great history, JIm! Thanks for sharing.

Before they "opened the gate" in January 1977, several of us received our
1X2 callsigns. Mine (K8IA) was late 1976 via #2 below. The procedure was;

1) Effective July 1, 1976, any Extra class licensee who had been a licensed
 Amateur for 25 years or more could select one specific 1x2 call sign.

2) Effective October 1, 1976, anyone who had held an Amateur Extra class
license prior to November 22, 1967, could select one specific 1x2 call  sign.

3) Effective January 1, 1977, anyone who had held an Amateur Extra class
license prior to July 2, 1974, could select one specific 1x2 call sign.

4) Effective April 1, 1977, anyone who held an Amateur Extra class license
prior to July 1, 1976, could select one specific 1x2 call sign.

5) Effective July 1, 1977, any Amateur Extra class licensee could select
one specific 1x2 call sign.

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

In a message dated 1/8/2017 7:49:33 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,