[CQ-Contest] SO2R rigs

Ria Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 11:01:54 EDT 2017

I borrowed an IC7300 for a few weeks, just to play with it and compare
to my other rigs (Flex-6700 and Icom 756ProIII).

Performance of the 7300 was adequate for running pileups, and low band
work. I did use external filtering for SO2R.

No receive antenna without external gear, as mentioned. I found this
to be a downside but it can supposedly be added on.

I found a lot of controls buried in the menus, which is typical for
smaller Icoms. Could be an issue.

Spectrum display/panadapter is really not much to write home about,
but N1MM+ has their new spectrum display feature as well.

Size is about 1/2 the size of the 756ProIII. So it will fit nicely on your desk.

Without filtering, the OVF indicator would come on with the other rig
transmitting QRO. External filters and pointing antennas away did
solve that. OVF indicates that the received signal exceeds the ADC's
ability, and it is therefore into clipping range. This really isn't a
problem if you have external filters.

Nice little radio, price is right. If I had to buy Icom today though
I'd get the 7610 only because it has two receivers.

73
Ria, N2RJ