[CQ-Contest] "Packet ruined ham radio" (version N+1)

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 15:04:10 EST 2017

Well, I think N1UR said it best.  And that is what I do when operating from
home.

And I think KG5VK missed the point.  I'm not against computer logging and
computer-controlled radios. I use that at home.  (I have joked about going
back to spark and keying with a three-foot-long knife switch immersed in
oil.)

I just think that having to tune for QSOs and having to actually copy what
was sent are more fun skills than
click-and-work-and-computer-fills-in-the-report.

Back then you had to take time to search the bands for new multipliers, or
even new QSOs.  If you were skilled (and/or lucky) you found the new mult
just as they were getting started.  You had about 5 minutes before the
pileup got out of hand.

Now, with RBN, one CQ on CW and it's instant chaos.  And people are
complaining about the lack of spotting on SSB and considering a single CW
CQ to get themselves spotted on SSB.

If you like it, enjoy it. Whatever floats YOUR boat.

If I don't have fun, I won't bother.  This is a hobby, not my life.

That's all, friends.  You'll have to say something outrageous to any more
from me (this time).

Tune for maximum fun!

73, Art K3KU
CU TEST