[CQ-Contest] "Packet ruined ham radio" (version N+1)

Charles R.Tropp charlestropp at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 10:46:17 EST 2017

“I knowI'm a minority, but I liked it better the old way.”

HiArt,

Yes, nostalgiais a legitimate and quite common sentiment. As an officer of the QuarterCentury Wireless Association (QCWA) I have heard similar expressions from manyof our members. There was quite a bit of opposition to our decision to adopt amonthly online journal to replace our printed quarterly some years ago. Somemembers actually quit saying they did not have access to or refused to use acomputer. But isn’t life all about learning new things and discovering new waysof doing things? You and I are close in age so I am sure you remember the SlideRule which largely became obsolete with the adoption of the electroniccalculator and similar software programs. Despite the fact that a Slide Ruleneeds no batteries, power supply, software upgrades or security protection, I wouldbe very surprised to find any current engineers still using one.

 73, Charles N2SO
Treasurer, Quarter Century Wireless Association, Inc. http://QCWA.org