[CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Mon Mar 13 12:36:15 EDT 2017

I think many people take this all for granted. I have contest friends
who are non-technical but are probably capable of making the top 3. They
probably have no idea how to hook up something to their radio to do a
recording. So because they lack this technical knowledge they are being
disqualified from winning. Is that really fair?

The big challenge for those smart software developers who write the
programs that we all use to do our logging and  take care of radio
control, skimmer, packet spots, online real time scoring etc... is to
incorporate a feature in their programs that make recording a contest
easy. Wouldn't it be great if your logging program took care of all this
without you even thinking about it? Something Plug-n-Play.

Even better have a real time audio recording that gets sent to CQ via
the internet when you are doing a contest. Something similar to real
time contesting scores. I'm sure something like this is possible. Just
look how easy it is to control a radio remotely. remotehamradio.com or
people remoting to their own stations are good examples. Maybe this
exciting technology with get more young people interested in contesting?

I will admit that I don't use or like some of the technology that an
assisted operator likes but just because I don't like it doesn't mean it
won't be enjoyable to someone else.

Jeff

---