[CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 13 16:56:46 EDT 2017

Certainly it's fair, Jeff. Ham radio is a TECHNICAL hobby. Part of being
a good contester is building a competitive station, and I have a lot
more respect for those who have done so than for those who have not. And
most of us who have done so have done it with a lot of help from friends.

The technical side of our hobby is so broad that few of us know much
about all of it. K6XX has published some tutorial stuff on recording a
contest, and there's a lot of material on my website. There's no reason
why someone who has learned enough (I didn't say memorized Q&A) to pass
an Extra exam can't record contest audio. The most it takes is a
recording medium (could be a computer), some patch cables that you
either build or buy, and getting levels set reasonably well. To make the
cables, you may need to open the manual for your radio.

73, Jim K9YC