[CQ-Contest] Other ARRL rules that need to be fixed

w5ov at w5ov.com w5ov at w5ov.com
Wed Mar 15 11:08:11 EDT 2017

Steve,

*I* think they mean ever.  It doesn't say specifically, so it's open to
interpretation - is it not?  This lack of specificity is also a problem.

There are many scenarios where a single op should be able to use the
services of others to effect repairs during a contest as long as those
others don't make QSOs for you.

Repairing a broken antenna is not operating the contest.

Swapping out a broken amplifier is not operating the contest.

What if I'm physically challenged, and cannot repair my own antennas?
What if I'm well-to-do enough, and don't do my own antenna work ever?  Am
I always a multi-op?

I think the premise is absurd and somewhat "sneaky" in what it ends up
outlawing for single ops and, as I suggested earlier, the rule should be
simply & only:

2.1.Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving, and
logging functions.

That focuses on actually operating the contest and fully encompasses
everything involved in actual operating and making qsos.

Next thing you know, having your XYL make you a tuna fish sandwich for
lunch on Saturday will be forbidden.  After all, what about those of us
who are divorced?  We have to feed ourselves, don't we?

Seriously, how is the line drawn at having someone else make lunch for you
is OK, but having someone else repair your broken dipole is not?

While absurd, sometimes taking something to an absurd extreme makes it's
fundamental absurdity more obvious - like in this case.

73,

Bob W5OV