[CQ-Contest] QSY

Jack Haverty k3fiv at arrl.net
Wed Mar 22 15:26:59 EDT 2017

On 03/22/2017 08:37 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> A transmitter used to contact one or more stations may not be
> subsequently used under any other call during the contest period, except
> for family stations...

I suspect that the rule-makers had good intentions, but with unintended
consequences.

You might find another ham interested in contesting and invite him/her
over to watch you work a contest.  After an hour or so, they're
interested, and are eager to try it out.  They might enjoy  learning how
to make some contacts, and create and submit their first contest log,
using their own call, with your mentoring.  Up to speed, you'll work
them in the next contest from their home station.

Unfortunately, this teaching experience is disallowed by the rule.
Unless they happened to have brought their own transmitter from home.
Not likely.  Or you have to switch from SO to MS.  Not the plan.

I'd like to see this rule modified to be more amenable to bringing new
ops into the fray.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV