[CQ-Contest] Hamvention - New Venue, etc.

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed May 24 09:55:05 EDT 2017

>  Mobile phone providers have coverage maps that although  not perfect, do
give some idea of coverage.  For example, at my WV QTH  neither T-Mobile nor
Verizon covers the area.  But visitors using one or  the other of those
carriers have had their devices work for a minute or two  intermittently --
enough to alert them to a voicemail or to download some  email.  Then the
signal is gone again, usually for hours until suddenly  their phone dings
again with a message or something.   It's called  "propagation."  I'm not
sure of the mode.

    It might be due to ducting. W7ZR had a  place on the east coast of Baja
(XE2DV) on the Sea of Cortez where the  cell coverage was very spotty but
he had a yagi pointing north to AZ and  occasionally he'd have a connection
due to ducting over the water. I think the  path eventually deteriorated and
I think having no internet access was one  of the reasons he now lives in AZ.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC