[CQ-Contest] So Sunday Sucked?

Jim Stahl jimk8mr at aol.com
Wed Nov 8 15:05:55 EST 2017

The solution to nearly any contest doldrums (VHF contests during non-skip periods being an exception) is to start over fresh being able to work everybody again. This is one of the joys of being a mobile in a state QSO party - you get to start over every thirty minutes or so, and can have a lot of fun with good rates even with a relatively small pool of active participants.

SS has always had its unique features - a long exchange, only one QSO per band, and a relatively long period with no set off times. It may not be your cup of tea, but for a lot of people it is a pretty neat challenge. It is a bit like a marathon, where at about mile 20 things really separate the men from the boys.

Rather than totally change the character of the contest, I simply suggested that it be made easier for a person to start over fresh. Those who love the marathon pain aspects of SS will still be able to enjoy that, but with perhaps some more people cheering them on to the finish line with a QSO. Those who like to run fast for the whole time can do so simply by finding a friend or club willing to make their callsign available for a second or third entry. No need to find multiple rigs, to travel between locations, etc.

The only change to the competition might be to add recognition for those doing multiple efforts by noting the combined scores (sum of the individual scores, not total QSOs times total unique multipliers.) This was an interesting challenge for me in my four station efforts from Ohio, at good stations but not in a particularly favorable location. Some years my combined score beat the overall winner (who could work any person only once), some years I did not.

Note that the CQ contests do not have a single call/transmitter rule, and still seem to have good competition. I’ve often done two separate efforts in the CQ 160 CW contest, using a different call each night. I’ve never heard of anybody who objected to having had a second QSO with me.

73  -  Jim   K8MR