[CQ-Contest] SS and CW contesting

steve.root at culligan4water.com steve.root at culligan4water.com
Fri Nov 10 09:39:39 EST 2017

 Although I had limited time available last weekend, I heard a lot of empty spaces in the bands. Activity did seem to be down and the claimed results seem to support that at least with local scores.

I have no idea if this can be measured or proven, bit I am of the opinion that contesters have the ability to "clean out" the band like never before. Computer duping, better receivers, better antennas all contribute. SO2R has had a major impact in our ability to find and work everyone that gets on.

And as someone else pointed out, it's never been easier to submit a log.

Therefore the decline in North American CW Contest activity might be masked.....in the short term..... by technological improvements.

73 Steve K0SR