[CQ-Contest] Will the next solar cycles be weaker than current Solar Cycle 24?

John Geiger af5cc2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 15:12:40 EST 2017

Hi Bob,

It was never my intent to "bash" an entire field or even an individual
scientist.  I am sorry that it came out that way and will try to choose my
words better in the future.  I can't find the original article I read about
the cycle 24 prediction, but here is a link to a presentation showing that
in 2006 one of the predictions for Cycle 24 was that it would have a
sunspot number of 180 which would make it slightly below Cycle 19, but
higher than any other cycle.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Eparvier_SC24_Predictions.pdf

It mentions some of the solar dynamics that I remember the original article
I saw mentioning.  At that time, I do not remember any other predictions
out saying that Cycle 24 would be low or even smaller than Cycle 23.  They
might have been out and I missed them.  I might have only paid attention to
this one because it made Cycle 24 look very promising, and as a DXer with a
small setup, that sounded great!

Again, I was not trying to bash anyone, I was just trying to install a ray
or hope or optimism in what seems like a pessimistic forecast for Cycle 25
(unless you are a low band DXer) by mentioning that not all predictions
come to pass.

73 John AF5CC