[CQ-Contest] Jamboree On The Air this weekend

nf8m at arrl.net nf8m at arrl.net
Fri Oct 20 09:31:17 EDT 2017

This weekend is the 60th running of the world's largest Scouting event,
Jamboree On The Air.

It's also a great opportunity to demonstrate the thrill of radiosport to
young people and many potential amateurs.

JOTA usually coincides with the Illinois and New York QSO parties, the
Worked All Germany contest and a few others. When we are demonstrating
amateur radio to Scouts, we usually come across participants in these
contests who most graciously slow their rate and patiently make a contact
with a young person, even taking a minute to describe their location and
give their name - and even their own Scouting experiences - outside the
required contest exchange. And when we work contesters, we submit a log.

If you're calling CQ Contest this weekend and hear a shy young voice come
back, thank you for taking the time to work him or her and to show them
one exciting aspect of our great hobby.

CU JOTA de WB8BSA!

Frank Maynard, NF8M
nf8m at arrl.net