[CQ-Contest] Portable in Canada

Kevin Schmidt w9cf at arrl.net
Mon Apr 2 00:32:12 EDT 2018

I am not sure why people get hung up on the order of home call sign
and prefix, which as Ron says is required by the treaty, but then don't
bother to follow the rest of what the treaty requires. Here is a link

<http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/1952-7E.PDF/$FILE/1952-7E.PDF>

The treaty also requires that for phone you are to replace the / with
the appropriate word where your choices are "fixed", "portable" or
"mobile,"  and that "Each amateur station shall indicate at least once
during each contact with another station its geographical location as
nearly as possible by city and state or city and province."

Strict compliance with the treaty requires sending the city and province
or city and state for every QSO. It seems to me that leaving out the city
and province is a more important violation than the technical violation
of putting the prefix on the opposite end of the callsign, since both the
USA and Canada accept this structure for other reciprocal privileges.
For that matter, since neither government requires the city, and state
or province to be transmitted for every contact for other reciprocal
operations, such as CEPT, it seems unlikely that any of this would be
enforced by either of the governments of our countries, which have been
friends for so long.  This long term friendship is, of course, why we
had this treaty so many decades ago.

73 Kevin w9cf